Monday, May 24, 2004

Teams To Root For, Part 1

The first team on my list of teams to root for now that the Mariners are definitely out of the running is...
...the Cincinnati Reds

Besides the obvious choice for my BOY, George Kenneth Griffey, Jr. (I still have posters of him in the M's uni, titled "In Junior We Trust") there is the saber-mensch (I'm hoping I coined this), Adam Dunn. These guys were underdogs to the Pirates and Brewers on many prediction sheets at the beginning of the year (not to mention the Cubs, Astros and Cardinals). As of this writing, they are tied with the Cubs for first place in the best division in baseball.

If you don't believe me, the Pirates are in last, 4.5 games back, only 2 games under .500. To compare, 4 of 5 other divisions have a last place team more than 10 GB, at least 13 games under .500 (the exception is the Rockies, 6.5 GB and 9 games under 500). Teams in the NL Central against teams in other division are 70-50 so far. I digress.

So, the Reds are a great team to root for if you don't have any specific allegience, and especially for me because I love Griffey and Dunn, and I like to see underdogs do well, especially in such a hotly contested division. So far, they are the best team in the NL, and if you're interested, they're on TV tomorrow afternoon/night (Monday 5/24) on ESPN, I think.

Look for the next edition of teams to root for coming out of the AL, hopefully in a day or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home