Friday, May 21, 2004

Great Night @ DBAP

Thought I would write a little something about my experience at Durham Bulls Athletic Park tonight. The Bulls were playing the Pawtucket Red Sox. The only starter whose name I recognized from Pawtucket was Shoppach, who was the DH tonight (usually a catcher, I think?). Byung-Hyun was on the roster in the free program, but he didn't make any appearances tonight. I've been to several Bulls games so far this year, and this was my first opportunity to see the Crime Dog in action. McGriff played his heart out, but the most notable thing he did was make the last out in the 1st, 3rd, and 5th innings. Not his best night, to say the least. He often looked confused and only had good contact with the ball once, which was his last at bat, the first out in the 8th.

The real reason that I wanted to go see the Bulls was one BJ Upton. I had actually seen him play once before, last year in AA, when he played against the Mudcats. It was a fluke occurence -- I basically got lucky. I didn't know which team the Mudcats were going to play when my buddy asked me if I wanted to go. I gladly agreed, and was in for a nice night. I think he went 1 for 4 that night with a double. No spectacular fielding, or anything, either.

Tonight was a little different. Since last time I was surprised to see him, and I hadn't heard nearly as much about him, I didn't go out of my way to note what happened or anything of that sort. Tonight I took notes every time he got close to the ball, in addition to keeping score, hoping something fun would come about.

The Bulls had him batting second in the order. The first pitch he saw, in the bottom of the 1st, he showed bunt. Luckily (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), it was a ball, and he had to pull back. With the defense tipped, he was swinging away. He worked the count full, only to eventually be hit by pitch. It would have been great to see him try to bunt for a hit (bases were empty), but seeing him get on base was enough...

...because, the next batter, Matt Diaz, advanced him to 3rd on a single. This play was exciting, as Upton was hauling tail the whole way, and made it safely on a head first dive into third. Enter McGriff. If you remember, I mentioned before that he made the last out in the 1st. I suppose that isn't entirely true. See, Crime Puppy struck out, as Diaz took off from first. I was shocked, and upset to see Diaz, not overly fast, but quick, trying to steal, with Upton on third. It was a classic trick play -- Diaz stopped half way, with the throw from Casanova (Red Sox catcher tonight) coming out to second base. Getting in a run down, Diaz tried to delay the defense long enough for Upton to score. It worked, mostly, but the defense was sharp, namely Schrager (SS), who fielded the throw from Casanova, but quickly saw the play unfold and managed to get Upton at home. So technically, Upton made the 3rd out of the 1st inning. The play was exciting right from the get-go.

In the third, I noticed Upton's leg kick. It reminds me of ARod's kick, as he brings his knee up around thigh level (or so it seemed) in anticipation of each pitch. Nothing special about it, I guess, but an interesting note.

By the end of the 7th inning, Pawtucket had 11 hits and 2 runs, and Durham had 6 hits and 3 runs. For the most part, Castillo (starter for the Red Sox) had the Bulls well in hand most of the night, save for two consecutive doubles and a HR in a shaky bottom of the 3rd inning (think he had 5 or 6 K's in 6 or 7 IP). I was surprised that Pawtucket hadn't scored more (and even made a note to the effect that I couldn't believe Durham was winning the game), leaving 8 runners on base to that point (by my count). You guys can double check the math on that -- that is just what I have from my scoresheet. Anyway, I digress...

In the top of the 8th, our favorite Pawtucket shortstop, Schrager, who had hosed Upton at home in the 1st, hit a HR with 2 outs, to tie the game. I was getting excited -- a tie game, we were well into the Durham Bull-pen, and anything could happen at this point. That was the only run Pawtucket would score in the 8th.

Bottom of the 8th, leading off, your very own BJ Upton. On a full count, BJ hit a towering drive over the "blue monster" (as the DBAP announcer calls it), to put the Bulls ahead for good. Bill Evers, Bulls manager, brought in Al Reyes to close out the game, and the Bulls won, 4 to 3. I know all the caveats of small sample sizes, but it sure was great to see Upton do well. It was a great time, complete with post-game fireworks, all for $3.50. Can't beat that dollar value, anywhere, anyhow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home